Sunday, October 12, 2008

Blog for October 12

I chose to write about The Indian Uprising by Donald Barthelme. To be honest, I despised reading this story at first. I didn't realize when the story was published or the fact it was a stream of consciousness style. It takes more than several readings to draw the full meaning and significance of the story. It is interesting that such a short story can possess so many symbols and sometimes hidden meanings.

Once we began to discuss the story in class, I began to realize how much I enjoyed the story and breaking down its true meanings. I was fortunate to hear everyone elses point of views. One thing that bothers me with literature like this is that I want one answer about what really happened. The conflicts and situations in the story were difficult to fully comprehend, perhaps that is why some literature can be so unique. I am beginning to realize that literature has more than just one or two interpretations. The Indian Uprising was one of my favorite pieces we have reviewed and has helped me understand literature better.

No comments: